Model Railway Forum banner

Which track?

18578 Views 78 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  stephen freeman
Hello all
New to the forum, I'm planning a 12' by 9' L-shaped 'tail chaser' layout for the garage. I'd like it to be based around about the mid to late 70's, so which track is best?, not just from a prototypical point of view, but ease of use, availability etc. I've heard lots of favourable things about SMP and C&L, but pictures are hard to come by, and is it really that much better than Peco stuff? Any info would be appreciated
1 - 2 of 79 Posts
Hi,

As I've already been mentioned in this thread, can I just say that Bespoke Turnouts to match C&L etc, whilst more expensive than kits are not that much more considering the time it takes to construct them.
QUOTE (ChrisO @ 1 Feb 2009, 21:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks to everyone for their replies. As I say I'm new to the forum and have returned to the hobby after 20 years or so (house, marriage, kids etc.) I had a layout when I was young, which my Dad built using Peco track, and I've just managed to get a couple of yards of Peco code 100 concrete sleepered track which looks OK, but doesn't seem to have changed from 20 years ago!!! when we appear to have had so many advances in the hobby, it seems a bit of a shame. I want the new layout to realistic, but I'm not bothered about 100% accuracy
Anyway, I've heard and read SMP and C&L are far superior but it's hard to find good comparison photos.
Does Marcway pointwork go with SMP?
I've not heard of Tillig, but I've seen an ad in Model Rail for 'Borg' does anyone use their track?
Borg? That'll be me. Sorry I'm a bit late on this but I haven't been on MRF that long and I've been busy with Signals.

If you want any info on Pointwork etc, you are welcome to contact me direct if you wish.
See less See more
1 - 2 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.