Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having bought a considerable number of white metal figures for my layout. These figures still have the casting's flash attached to the lower part of each figure.
Can any member help and advise the correct procedure to remove the flash without breaking the figure's part of leg. Any help will be most appreciated.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
What I do is to cut away anything that is big enough to be cut with side cutters, then I scrape a bit with a knife, then I tidy up the casting with a fibre glass pencil also known as a scratch brush. I bought mine at Shesto (www.shesto.com - search for SCRATCH BRUSHES on thir site). I have the 2mm clutch type that takes refills. This is the best tool for cleaning of all metal objects.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've found that my wifes old nail equipment is good for most sanding applications.

They range from a fairly coarse flexible sanding stick down to a very fine "Blue block" which virtualy polishes the end product.

Best of all, they are usually available from most pharmacies.

Just don't tell the wife!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The proprietor of Dart Castings, kindly made suggestions in the proper method to remove "flashing" from the white metal figures.
To obtain a good quality "flush cutters" at around £10.00.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi
I am a newbie so this is my first post .I usually clean up an 00 or O scale figure with an old round blunt cheap needle file ,drawing across the flashlines in the direction of the creases and folds hopefully present . Of course I also use other files and cutters as already mentioned ..
I make all the master patterns for Dart Castings (Montys ) among others so have far too much experience of cleaning up little people than is sane or healthy .
Martin
www.trackpass.net

1 - 5 of 5 Posts