Model Railway Forum banner

Why doesn't glue stick any more?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Mr N. Ladd 
#1 ·
I have been trying to fit Bachmann narrow couplings to all my older stock and locos as the old Hornby ones are rather obtrusive. Another reason is so I can use the magnet and staple method of auto uncoupling as only Bachmann hooks are not steel and therefore magnetic in themselves.
What I have done is to cut off the old Hornby items and any bit's of plastic that are in the way and using a new item of Bachmann stock as a gauge, glued on riser blocks then the coupling pocket and when dry inserted the staple converted coupling. I find the pockets do not stick to any other type of plastic regardless what glue I use. I have tried airfix glue, tube and bottle, u-hoo, araldite, contact adhesive and the liquid stuff that claims to stick plastics other glues won't. None make a very strong bond and the slightest twist or knock has the join failing. I have roughened the plastic and it makes no difference.
I'm not bothered about being able to remove the coupling so have tried leaving off the pocket and gluing the main part straight on with the same result. Most aren't suitable for screwing on so any ideas?

#3 ·
You are not alone with this problem, I am currently trying to locate a local supplier of a new adhesive which is activated by a UV pen. I have seen it demonstrated at a local accident repair centre where a broken headlamp mounting bracket was glued back on and they could not snap it back off with a large pair of pliers. As soon as I can find the manufacturers I will post on the forum.

#4 ·
The pin reinforcing might work. The problem with a screw is even the thinnest screw splits the coupling where it is thinnest inside the pocket so you end up still losing the coupling but the pocket stays put and you cannot insert a new coupling with the screw through.
That headlamp plastic glue sounds just the ticket but what is the cost of a UV pen?

#5 ·
*** It may depend a lot on the screw used of course.

Look here... https://www.dccconcepts.com/product-categor...s-micro-screws/

Down to 1mm x 8mm pan head and many sizes between that and 2mm diameter. They DO work OK to fix couplers if you pre-drill the shank. They also keep it adjustable...

The Glue may be the one to use... but I have not tried it myself. It will be somewhat permanent though so may not be the perfect answer if things ever need replacing.

The UV Glue mentioned comes with the UV pen. Its just a UV LED, a small bit of regulation and Battery really... but the pack of pen+glue isn't particularly cheap :). I too am wracking my brain for the makers name...

It's reported everywhere as good stuff.

Regards

Richard

#7 ·
QUOTE (ALAN PETERS @ 17 Nov 2016, 21:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You are not alone with this problem, I am currently trying to locate a local supplier of a new adhesive which is activated by a UV pen. I have seen it demonstrated at a local accident repair centre where a broken headlamp mounting bracket was glued back on and they could not snap it back off with a large pair of pliers. As soon as I can find the manufacturers I will post on the forum.
Alan. I have seen it advertised on a screen in the Factory Shop in Kidwelly. I think they have the product there. If not they should be able to get them as they deal in JML products. It is worth a try as it is not far from where you live.

#8 ·
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 18 Nov 2016, 11:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>*** It may depend a lot on the screw used of course.

Look here... https://www.dccconcepts.com/product-categor...s-micro-screws/

Down to 1mm x 8mm pan head and many sizes between that and 2mm diameter. They DO work OK to fix couplers if you pre-drill the shank. They also keep it adjustable...

The Glue may be the one to use... but I have not tried it myself. It will be somewhat permanent though so may not be the perfect answer if things ever need replacing.

The UV Glue mentioned comes with the UV pen. Its just a UV LED, a small bit of regulation and Battery really... but the pack of pen+glue isn't particularly cheap :). I too am wracking my brain for the makers name...

It's reported everywhere as good stuff.

Regards

Richard
Is reported to be good stuff... Probably by the ones who sell it!

Not tried it myself as it is not exactly cheap. Be interested to know how others find it.
JML is the company I've seen it advertised by.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.