Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
There's a ton of information out there on DCC, some good and some bad and most of it from the US. I think the major problem was that the UK market took so long to decide wether to bother with DCC after the Hornby debacle with Zero1. Now it's here big time, your being swamped with information and DCC equipment and belive it or not the same old arguments are coming up as they did in the US and here in Oz, "why should i change", " I have a hundred locos how can i chip them all" , "It's to expensive" etc. and the big one "I don't understand it" You don't really have to understand how it all works just that if you follow a few simple instructions and have wired up a DC layout then a DCC layout is a snap. I used to have layout with cab control, 6 cabs, using up to 25 rotary switches to get around the layout and diode route matrix to select points for the yard routes. I think I used about 4klms of wiring including signaling and the panels. I remember the night I first saw DCC, Lenz, in operation and I looked under this fellows layout to see his wiring as his layout was similar size to mine, 36'x16'. Imagine my suprise at the how simple wiring loom was.

The thing I see with DCC after 20yrs of it is that it can be as simple or as complicated as you want it. I think we should give the NRMA and Bernard Lenz a big thumbs up for what they've given the hobby because if it it gone the other way it would be helluva of a lt more complicated.

Ozzie21

1 - 1 of 1 Posts