Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
there need only be one, hazzy.....and that would be the one you personally choose to use/model in.

However,like all things, model railways is an old, very broad hobby.

so like all things, it covers all tastes and needs.

Since it involves MODELS.....even if considered as toys....then these models, which are supposed to [more or less] represent the real thing....need to be made to a SCALE.

The scale of the model gives a sense of proportion.

Even if making a''wooden toy train'' for a child, one attempts to keep a sense of proportion about the thing, otherwise it ceases to be recogniseable as a train to the child.

''Action Man'' and Barbie are made to a scale, to provide proportion......any old head stuck to any old representation of a body simply ''won't do?''

so, as with all toys and models, model railways come in a variety of different scales....

some arose out of a recognition that modern families tend to live in match boxes these days, so space is at a premium.

Hence, the likes of N gauge was developed, to fit more into less space.....because it uses a smaller scale, than say, OO or HO.

the opposite applies to O gauge....

[[scale and gauge are two entirely separate things.....quantities if you like.....and the relationship between scale and gauge is complicated, in model as well as prototype.....and the differences are of a historical nature....and stemmed from engineering issues.

[scale is the proportion, or ratio of the model to the real thing........gauge is simply the distance apart the rails are]

from your other post, you need only concern yourself with a scale of 4mm to the foot....and OO gauge track

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
alastairq - well explained but your last sentence is sure to get someone reacting

But I agree with you on that statement as well.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
doubtless it will...and doubtless it will demonstrate the need to read the WHOLE sentence...allowing for my rubbish ability regarding grammer, vocabulary,intention, memory,syntax, incometax, although I DO have a GCE O level in english language......apparently.......

I wasn't offering an opinion there either.....just wishing to keep things simple?

but then,I have been putting together some continental O gauge stock for m unpainted,modified Lima shunter to play with......and have found some really ancient[in model terms] narrow gauge stuff of a OO9 nature....not forgetting my bargin Xmas trains,battery-operated steam trains awaiting stripping, spraying, altering, just for the fun of it.......have my eyes on a redundant cheapy radio controlled 'car' tingy of my son's....maybe to whip out the servos and drive for a loco....plus rechargeable batteries, etc......

OO gauge rules?

you make your OWN mind up on tha one.....I haven't.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
i would agree with that but also dont forget its not just space. its also the tastes of the modeller. some like to do scenic work and in n gauge this can really be the focus of the layout. a great layout can have spectacular scenery and very little in the way of track.
modellers in n gauge can also use large radius sweeping curves.

in OO we are far more limited by space. very few of us have the luxury of the large sweeping curves in thsi scale. but we can put far more detail into our models. it does give us far more scope for showing off our rolling stock. in 4mm the focus of a layout is usually the railway rather than the scenery.

Peter

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm just about getting used to the gentle pace of this forum, and it doesn't matter if days pass in between posts. I'd like to chime in on this one.

I would guess that when we first start out, we all have big dreams of mega layouts, especially if we're younger. So we race our little engines round and round a small circuit and pretend its the whole of the network.

Selling a train set without a circuit of track in the box would not get anyone going in this hobby, and therein is both the solution and the problem.

The solution is a RTR train set, with enough features to get you going. The problem is the minimal length of circuit in that starter set, which when applied to OO, amounts to once round the circuit in about 3 or 4 metres. This in real life isn't very much, and represents a compromise. But we want to depict stations, countryside, towns and tunnels in not much space.

Manufacturers might care to think about adding extra track within the starter sets - the sets usually represent good value against individual pricing, and another length or two of track inside a starter set wouldn't add too much extra cost.

Experience has taught me that belonging to a model railway club is perhaps the best way to have it both ways. You can run stock on big layouts in the clubrooms , and at home you can do your own modeling.

On a personal note, I think I'm getting to the point where 'less is more' so I have dioramas / compact layouts at home.

Want more railway ? Either Go Large and build it in a big room or Go Small and compress it. Also consider joining a club.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
the OP had started another thread at the time, wherein 'twas stated a ''hornby''set was in the offing....hence my presumption about OO gauge?

Many continental makers used to put greater quantities of track in their sets.......I recall minor envy back in the 60's/70's comparing with the offerings of Tri-ang and Hornby?

but we DO have 'track packs?''

regarding clubs?

Well, seeking out and joining a Model Railway Club CAN be a bit of a problem for a newcomer.

Not that they are not easy to find...but that sometimes, the atmosphere can seem a bit daunting to a beginner.

I'm not advocating avoiding clubs.....on the contrary....but the political and social side can be daunting....especially if a total stranger, in a strange environment?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Its to Room and what you prefare:
00 gauge is small but big enough for good detail as well is sutible for kids
N gauge is small so if you live in a small 2 bedroom flat you can have a layout
0 gauge is more of a garden thing along with G gauge
and so on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts