Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Why were banana vans steam heated ?

i dont have a clue and cannot find any reason why.

you dont see fyffes trucks plodding down the M27 with steam pouring out of the trailer do you ?

anyone know why please ?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (M8 INTERNET @ 1 Jul 2007, 21:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Bananas require to be transported in quite a specific method
The temperature and humidity needs to be controlled, hance the use of steam heating
This helps retain the natural state, and reduces spoilage by about 60%, adding as much as 2 days to the shelf life

thanks for that info

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (M8 INTERNET @ 1 Jul 2007, 21:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Bananas require to be transported in quite a specific method
The temperature and humidity needs to be controlled, hance the use of steam heating
This helps retain the natural state, and reduces spoilage by about 60%, adding as much as 2 days to the shelf life

If bananas get too cold (less than around 5degrees C I think from memory) when they warm up again it accelerates the ripening process, hence when transporting them in rerigerated trucks they have insulated "coats" on them.

There's my useless fact of the week !

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 2 Jul 2007, 08:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If bananas get too cold (less than around 5degrees C I think from memory) when they warm up again it accelerates the ripening process, hence when transporting them in rerigerated trucks they have insulated "coats" on them.

There's my useless fact of the week !

So that's why you collect banana vans is it?

Regards

John

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 4 Jul 2007, 16:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So that's why you collect banana vans is it?

Regards

John

I don't - like I don't collect HO Fire Engines or OHE's with advertising livery or DB218's....................

·
Registered
763 Posts
A bit of banana tat prompted by a comment from a colleague who said they were poisonous if refrigerated (not found any proof of that).
If you refrigerate an unripe banana it will never ripen, if you refrigerate a ripe banana it will stay fresh longer on the inside but the skin goes dark

·
Administrator
9,856 Posts
QUOTE A bit of banana tat
Apparently it is not possible to slip on a banana skin; orange peel maybe; banana skin no.

David

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 4 Jul 2007, 20:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't - like I don't collect DB218's....................

I think that's an understatement.....................

Regards

John

·
Registered
268 Posts
To the best of my knowledge bananas are harvested before they are ripe. The banana boats bringing them to Europe are kept chilled to prevent further ripening, because there is no guarantee how long they will be at sea. In the past, the ripening process only started once they had been unloaded at the other end. The railway journey, being of a fairly well defined duration, was included in the process, taking advantage of the supply of steam during colder weather to raise the temperature inside the van to that desired.
Nowadays the ripening is done at the distribution warehouse, using ethylene or other gases, so no steam rising from banana lorries I'm afraid, more likely the noise of the lorry's chiller unit keeping them cool.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts