Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Group,

One way to add some finishing touches to an assembled kit of a house/shop/office/factory is to do some window dressing i e add some curtains or other window details.

All the manufacturers of these kits seem to have two or three standard sheets with curtain prints and other window details that are included in the kits. The result is a repitition of the window detail in different buildings in the same model town.

I am sure that the manufacturers can expand their range of sheets with window details at a minimal cost and that it would be well received by the modellers. Why can they not make up a set of say 10 A4 sheets with different window details and include that in their catalogues? Is it a matter of not realising the need or just ignorance?

Any ideas on alternative sources for window curtains and details?

Kind regards.

Johan

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
It would be easy to produce them but after taking the time to do so, how long before they were copied ? - I'm sure most of us here would be able to easily scan & print them out !

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Curtains can be made from an assortment of different papers and even masking tape if used correctly. Magazine articles and adverts especially from the glossies can make quite good shop window displays. I would assume that the same source could easily be used for the inside of warehouses and factories etc.

Regards

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've used Kleenex tissue paper [and other types of paper of course] for curtains. The tissues have surprisingly nice 'embroidery'
Good for kitchen windows and my cake shop's front window.
For the butcher's shop, I commissioned my daughter to create a striped awning using MS Paint. It looks great and is supported by fine wire.

Mike

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Check out the self adhesive stuff that you can use to make greetings cards from. Probably available from your local craft shop.

Regards

1 - 6 of 6 Posts