Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could some kind soul please enlighten a newbie to the hobby as to whether dcc sound is realistic to loco speed ie would the note od a diesel change as the revs climb?
Oh and are they easy to fit?

·
Administrator
9,855 Posts
Check out Doug's review of fitting a sound decoder to Bachmann's prototype Deltic here.

I am waiting for a 21 to 8 pin converter to arrive and then I can retrofit mine as well. I already have a class 66 fitted with sound. As far as I can remember it was a pretty easy job. Once that's done, I'll be off to the SWD website to get A4 sound. I suspect there's going to be some serious tender carving going into that one. I just hope Neil gets to do his first

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 19 Aug 2008, 05:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Check out Doug's review of fitting a sound decoder to Bachmann's prototype Deltic here.

I am waiting for a 21 to 8 pin converter to arrive and then I can retrofit mine as well. I already have a class 66 fitted with sound. As far as I can remember it was a pretty easy job. Once that's done, I'll be off to the SWD website to get A4 sound. I suspect there's going to be some serious tender carving going into that one. I just hope Neil gets to do his first

David
So do I, I was kind of hoping tommorow. B)

·
Registered
166 Posts
QUOTE (wolverton bloomer @ 18 Aug 2008, 18:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Could some kind soul please enlighten a newbie to the hobby as to whether dcc sound is realistic to loco speed ie would the note od a diesel change as the revs climb?
Oh and are they easy to fit?

Yes and yes

·
Administrator
9,855 Posts
QUOTE Have a look on youtube - lots on there.

I'm guessing you might like to add sound to your new Class 47? Check out this video on U-Tube via this link.

You can then spend many happy minutes going through the related video links to the right of this particular entry.

David

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
When you get your first sound locomotive its cool, Crank the sound up to maximum and away you go. Once loco number 2 arrives, it does get rather noisy. I have the maximum sound on my locomotives set at between 25-30%, loud enough to hear but not be annoying in your layout room.

Move on to the exhibition circuit and you don't need sound in HO layouts, you cant hear it even at 100% maximum sound. But move into Gauge one and it is cool. You can hear it and surprisingly it is not over powering. A true great atmosphere.

John

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (dwb @ 20 Aug 2008, 21:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm guessing you might like to add sound to your new Class 47? Check out this video on U-Tube via this link.

You can then spend many happy minutes going through the related video links to the right of this particular entry.

David

That is way too cool!!!!!
Gotta get sound
Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts