Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody out there have a wiring diagram for three way points for DCC? I know Alan Gartner on Wiring for DCC says clubs don't use them because they are so difficult and therefore he does not indicate how they should be wired. Alas our club does have one and as the track was layed prior to me talking them into DCC I need to find out how to do it. Alan Gartner talks about complicated soldering but does not explain further.

So I would be most grateful for a nudge in the right direction to find the info or even better a diagram.

Chris

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
I created this set of drawings for wiring an asymmetric or tandem 3 way point.

Slope Font Parallel Circuit component Pattern

David

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (dwb @ 5 Jun 2007, 22:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I created this set of drawings for wiring an asymmetric or tandem 3 way point.

View attachment 127

David
Yes I think I have come across that before David but could not remember where. Can't say as I understand it but I will print it out and take it to the club.

Chris

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I remember pondering this about 8 years ago when the only solution open to me was to lay a three way turnout. ( electrofrog )
I simply fed power from the toe end and let the turnout blade do the conducting of power. It worked fine for me, and saved me some fancy wiring in a difficult to reach spot on the layout. Not a high tech solution but it worked.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE I simply fed power from the toe end and let the turnout blade do the conducting of power. It worked fine for me, and saved me some fancy wiring in a difficult to reach spot on the layout. Not a high tech solution but it worked.
Can you remember if that was for a code 100 or code 75 point? Simply feeding the power in from the toe will not work on the asymmetric version (code 75). The code 100 is symmetric and no special treatment is required.

David

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (dwb @ 6 Jun 2007, 17:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can you remember if that was for a code 100 or code 75 point? Simply feeding the power in from the toe will not work on the asymmetric version (code 75). The code 100 is symmetric and no special treatment is required.

David
Hi David and thanks to MMAD I can say with 100% certainty that it is code 100. I know at the moment we are struggling to get an 08 across it and when we put the point motors on it we are getting a short (Gaugmaster seep PM1 with aux switch) in some positions of the motor. We will have a bash again tomorrow night with the info from you guys and once again thanks very much.

Again Model Rail Forum rides to the rescue!

Chris

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hi Chris

If have looked at my Blog or posts for my new layout you will see that I have a three way point on it all my track is peco code 100 after reading all the threads on here I decided to go with insilfrog points for the lot mainly cause of the problems that you have described and I have had no problems at all with it it works a treat.

I hope you find this useful?

Pete

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/blog/...p?showentry=165

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (Peter_Harvey @ 7 Jun 2007, 07:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Chris

If have looked at my Blog or posts for my new layout you will see that I have a three way point on it all my track is peco code 100 after reading all the threads on here I decided to go with insilfrog points for the lot mainly cause of the problems that you have described and I have had no problems at all with it it works a treat.

I hope you find this useful?

Pete
http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/blog/...p?showentry=165
Hi Pete yes I have been following your layout building and very impressive it is too. With your 3 way did you cut any of the rails or use insulating joints?

Chris

·
Registered
461 Posts
Chris

I have not used any insulated rail joiners in fact all of the joints are soldered and the two wire power feeds on both sides of the points to give the best power feeds all of the points and track are straight out of the box.

Pete

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (Peter_Harvey @ 7 Jun 2007, 11:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Chris

I have not used any insulated rail joiners in fact all of the joints are soldered and the two wire power feeds on both sides of the points to give the best power feeds all of the points and track are straight out of the box.

Pete
Thanks for that Pete but I have been to the club tonight and we are getting a short somewhere when one of the points is in a certain position. Do your point motors have the aux switches on to change polarity or not?

Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts