Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have been planning an N Gauge layout for a while, but have found it hard to come up with a plan I would be happy with.

I am currently thinking of doing an N Gauge model of Wolverhampton Low Level Station, but am having trouble finding a scale track plan of the station and also photos of it when it was open (it closed in the 70's so there should be some photos somewhere).

So far, the only track plan I have found is the following one which shows it in 1856

Does anyone know where I could find either a track plan or photographs of the station when it was operational?

I live about 5 miles from the station, but of course it is now being redeveloped.

Thanks in advance

Chris

·
Registered
51 Posts
Raider, I have several books with pictures (mostly B&W) But because of copyright can not scan and publish here.
However I think I may be allowed to scan and send to you by personal e mail.
If you are interested reply or email me direct and I'll see what I can do.
Is there any thing specific that you are interested in?
Regards
Frank

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies - very useful pictures on that website.

Frank - do any of your books have a track plan in them? At the moment I am trying to assess how much room I am going to need to do this in N Gauge - if it is going to be too big, then I will have to have a rethink.

Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all,

I'm new here and read this topic with interest as I'm also in the planning stages for Wolverhampton Low Level. Currently I'm using Templot to lay tracks over the 1919 map of the station.

Long term my plan is based on a scenario that LL was not closed and so I plan a fictitious "what if" kind of scenario whereby it's still open to passengers in the late 1970's. So I'll probably rationalise the trackplan somewhat (it was very elaborate in 1919 with carriage sheds, wagon turntables etc.) in the style of a rationalised BR station.

If you're still struggling for plans let me know and I can send some through for you.

Jim

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the offer Jim, but for now the plan has been abandoned due to a lack of space, even in N Gauge.

It will be interesting to see your layout though - what gauge are you modelling it in?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

I'm working in 4mm P4 scale.

It is quite big when laid over the prototype track plan - about 8m x 5m at the moment but the flow of the crossovers on the Birmingham end of the station is really nice.

I'm just about getting to grips with Templot for the track design - once I've got something looking half decent I'll post it up here for you to comment on.

Jim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Jim,

Some good pictures on there. I also came across a site where they were saying that they discovered some of the old broad gauge tracks still in situ when they started to excavate one of the bay platforms!

Cheers!

Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts