Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi, I was looking at th Woodland Scenics Subterrain system today in a local model shop and wondered if anybody has tried it? It looks easy, basically preformed polystyrene blocks/ramps/supports which interlock, then adjusted with a hot knife before covering with plaster soaked linen/cloth. They claim a quick construction time and good result but can't verify this as even google doesn't come up with a review. Some links with info

http://www.ontracks.co.uk/index.php?page=c...&toplevel=1

http://www.woodlandscenics.com/

Here's a video which explains the system, it looks pretty promising.

mms://video.woodlandscenics.com/Woodland/ModURail.wmv

thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
QUOTE (simonj @ 23 Sep 2007, 20:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi, I was looking at th Woodland Scenics Subterrain system today in a local model shop and wondered if anybody has tried it? It looks easy, basically preformed polystyrene blocks/ramps/supports which interlock, then adjusted with a hot knife before covering with plaster soaked linen/cloth.

Hi,

I have used two bits from their range:

- the shallowest incline for a small height difference
- the flexible trackbed stuff to provide a base for my track

I have found both of these to be very useful products. The incline saved a lot of faffing, whilst the flexible trackbed stuff took a day which could have been several days with cork underlay.

It's pricey though, so for the rest of my layout I used extruded polystyrene insulation boards. This is different frome the white expanded polystyrene - much denser, easier to shape and stronger. It's used for roof insulation and got mine off a branch of Sheffield Insulations, a wholesalers.

I used plaster cloth / bandadge to cover it all, but found that buying a pack of a dozen rolls of a medical supplier (same stuff as used for platser casts) was a _lot_ cheaper than the model / art shop packaging! There are several medical suppliers on the web that do mail order.

Walter

·
Registered
825 Posts
QUOTE (simonj @ 23 Sep 2007, 20:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi, I was looking at th Woodland Scenics Subterrain system today in a local model shop and wondered if anybody has tried it? It looks easy, basically preformed polystyrene blocks/ramps/supports which interlock, then adjusted with a hot knife
If you need a hot knife anyway, I would just use the thick polystyrene sheets sold in a DIY shed.

Andrew

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Walter @ 24 Sep 2007, 11:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It's pricey though, so for the rest of my layout I used extruded polystyrene insulation boards. This is different frome the white expanded polystyrene - much denser, easier to shape and stronger. It's used for roof insulation and got mine off a branch of Sheffield Insulations, a wholesalers.

The extruded stuff is much better than the expanded stuff, it cuts well with a hot knife & saws well with far less mess & the "dust" does not stick to everything.

If you ask the wholesalers nicely they will probably give you damaged panels - they can't always sell it & it costs them money to dispose of it.

Warning - be careful cutting any plastics using heat - cyanide gas can be given off, just take sensible precautions.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Most of the big scenic players now do something similar to this. Certainly I know that Noch and Faller both do. There are almost certainly others.

Regards

1 - 6 of 6 Posts