Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Paul Hamilton aka "Lancashire Fusilier"
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody done this or know what to do? Iam modelling LMS 1930s so could probably get away with either the old style complete rotating signal (where the whole thing moves 90 degrees) or use the revolving disc type where it revolves around a horizontal axis about 45 degrees.

I would imagine the former are easier to animate and I was looking at the Switchmaster motors which do 4rpm and therefore would take about 4-5 seconds to rotate the whole unit 90 degrees. This could easily have a brass tube connected that runs through a basic brass bushing inertered in the baseboard and could be removed for maintenance if required. It could be illuminated if required too however I am not sure of the lighting arrangement on the earlier tyes, the newer discs had a white light when "off" and red light when at danger which would be easily replicated with LED.

I assume that home made units of the second type could be made with some brass gears soldered onto the shaft of the signal disc and the motor shaft at 90 degrees to each other and this would change in about 2-3 seconds which is reasonable if both gears were 1:1 ratio.

Anyone know where these type of things are available from? Do I need to make my own (not likely!)?

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Working ground signals is ambitious but why not?

For rotating post version, I would be inclined to mount the post on the hinge point of an angle crank and then drive one end with a linear actuator.

For the other type I think I would be considering upscaling

David

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
C J Freezer's book (see this topic) shows a simple way of operating both the 'whole body' and the disc/arm type of ground signal, even in 4mm scale - bit fiddly, I admit, but not impossible. I shall practice on the larger signals first, I think.

Regards,
John Webb

·
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
John, I clicked on the link you provided however it appeared to discuss Hornby releases. Which Freezer text is this you are referring to?

David, I understand what you are proposing and that sounds simple enough from a quick sketch I just did on the back of a post-it note. As long as the travel of the throw mechanism results in a 90 degree rotation this should be sweet I reckon. Only need an appropriate lever arm soldered onto the end of the brass tube which runs up through the base board and connects to the signal shaft.

Just need to see if MSE do some castings of these units.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Sorry about that - I'm sure I put the right topic number in! (It's 2678, by the way) Let's try again: Sources of Information.... - it's in this sub-forum and about 7 or 8 topics down. There are a number of books listed there on both prototype and models.

Regards,
John

·
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that John,

I have ordered the Cyril Freezer one now. I did pick up 3 signalling books last week that are proving valuable and interesting too:

ISBN 1-85780-114-8 "British Railway Signalling in Colour For the Modeller and Historian" by Robert Hendry published by Midland Publishing
ISBN 978-0-7110-3215-6 "Railway Signalling and Track Plans" by Bob Essery and published by Ian Allan

Also "Signalling in the age of steam" too

Can't see these signals on MSE's website but need to follow up with Andrew anyway. I have discovered that I can control two signals simultaneously with the one Tortoise machine which will be good for ground signals at cross overs.

I hope the plan review you are doing for me John is going smoothly and I do look forward to reviewing your comments in due course.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts