Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't understand hat they were on about... problems with an incline?

Anyway, it looked impressive. We should go out there next time they do this, we could have a speed record run with a TGV or we could recreate the Mallard run or something similar.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I have to admit that this is on my list of "must dos", by all accounts it is amazing.

Regards

·
Registered
407 Posts
i started to visit miniatur wunderland in hamburg about 3 years ago and visit once a year now because they keep on building and extending it. the matterhorn is now ready and iv yet to see that and cant wait.

the control system for it couldnt just run british rail, it cud run europe lol. there is a room for the computers and also a glass case to show the actual computer boxes all whizzing away. id hate to think about the planning for the electrics of the place and everything else in fact, only the germans could build a model railway to this level of detail, size and complexity.

if anyones interested, i cud post up the pics i took when i was there. my favourite scene is the long hi speed line over a long viaduct and the 17/18 car ice trains passing along at speed into the distance!.

the trains must cover a tremendous "mileage" every day simply because of the size of the layout and mileage of track available!. wonder how long the components last till they need replacement/service!.

its amazing and anyone who loves model railways shud try to make the pilgrammage there at least once!.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have been to Minature Wunderland twice now and would recommend it. Allow plenty of time for your visit as it can get pretty crowded in at peak times. Last time in the summer school holidays we waited about 45 minutes to get in.

Regarding service and repair, I saw a large plastic box there almost full of used Roco motors!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Very impressive, must try to get there this year. The largest public layouts I've seen are both closed now - one in Poole by the quayside and another going around the atrium in Hamley's, Regent Street, London. Neither came anywhere close to this one in Hamburg, though.
mal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts