Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I am new to the forum and to the hobby.
I have a problem that I hope someone can help me with.
I have a B12 Loc and had to replace the wormwheel last month because of wear.
Since then I have gone through 2 sets because of wear. I have stripped the engine checked that everything is aligned but am still suffering the same problem. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Priestfield

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (priestfield @ 20 Jul 2008, 08:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi all
I am new to the forum and to the hobby.
I have a problem that I hope someone can help me with.
I have a B12 Loc and had to replace the wormwheel last month because of wear.
Since then I have gone through 2 sets because of wear. I have stripped the engine checked that everything is aligned but am still suffering the same problem. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Priestfield
Hi & welcome to MRF,

If you are sure that the gears are aligned correctly it may be that the other gear is also worn & is damaging the new worm gear. I would suggest that you replace both gears & use a touch of silicone (or similar) grease.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 20 Jul 2008, 09:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi & welcome to MRF,

If you are sure that the gears are aligned correctly it may be that the other gear is also worn & is damaging the new worm gear. I would suggest that you replace both gears & use a touch of silicone (or similar) grease.

Hi priestfield welcome to the forum
Any suggestions/manufacturers as to a good silicone grease brian please.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
If it is a Hornby or Tri-ang B12, these have had different sets of gears fitted over the years. You need to make sure that you have the correct worm and gear combination. Modern models have a small motor - probably all modern ones have the same worm and gear combination. Older models had a larger motor. I think these earlier ones may have had at least two different worn and gear combinations. One may have had a metal worm and the later a plastic one. I think these were of different pitch so the gears would also have been different.

Damian M.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (upnick @ 20 Jul 2008, 10:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi priestfield welcome to the forum
Any suggestions/manufacturers as to a good silicone grease brian please.....
Roco do one, but more easily obtainable may be from a fishing tackle shop. It may also be worth checking on the gear match as Damian suggested.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi All
thanks for the help.
I did change both gears and im sure they were the correct ones as I got the from the Hornby main dealers and the loc is about two years old. I will try the silicone though and go from there.
again thanks to all
regards
Priestfield

·
Registered
189 Posts
Priestfield

Welcome to the Forum (Tá failte romhat )

Try this link.

http://home.powertech.no/jr/engtune.htm

This is a very good description of how to get that motor running like clockwork

As others have said

get the gears meshing correctly and smoothly

and

apply some grease and/or oil where applicable and ONLY on the moving parts that need it. Check the amanufactuers websites for doenloads (bachmann and Hornby are good)

Have fun tuning that loco. it's a good bit of the fun when you can get (and keep) that loco motor unning smooth.

and get the right tools as well

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (priestfield @ 21 Jul 2008, 22:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi All
thanks for the help.
I did change both gears and im sure they were the correct ones as I got the from the Hornby main dealers and the loc is about two years old. I will try the silicone though and go from there.
again thanks to all
regards
Priestfield

***Hi

The meshing of the gear and worm is really important. If they are engaging but the teeth are not really well meshed then they will chew out the tips of the teeth in a short while - If several have chewed then I suspect that is what is happening to your loco.

Look carefully at the way the motor is mounted and see if you can help it to sit down far enough for the teeth to mesh really well -

Hornbys motor mounts are often a bit "soft" and it may need you to subtly change the way its fixed to make it more rigid expecially at the front bearing as if this moves up and down a bit it will affect the meshing and the wear will happen.

it could mean:
a couple of file srokes off the bearing so the motor sits slightly lower
stiffening up any bracket
adding a little padding to whatever fixes the motor front in place to hold it lower and closer to the gear (depending on loco its usually a ring of plastic around the front bearing or a bracket or a single screw)

Basically there should be just room for a bit of thin paper between the teeth of the worm and the axle gear (a cigarette paper for example)

Richard
DCCconcepts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts