Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
In depth idiot
8,602 Posts
The drive system I would prefer would be a single (BIG!) motor and flywheel in the boiler unit, with concealed shafts to drive both chassis, similar in principle to that used on twin bogie traction. This would probably require a lay shaft under the motor to move the drive line low enough to go under the pivots, but above the driven axles. As for the price, realistically I cannot see such an item being produced for less than double the list price of a current 'big engine' like the Brit or 9F, so (reluctantly) went for £250.

For me it has to be the LNER monster as first choice, though the LMS Garratt would be irresistible. And any of the ex-Rhodesian now Zimbabwe Railways types would 'do it' for me, having ridden on a couple. Ideally this would be 4mm, 16.5 gauge - overgauge by roughly the same error as standard gauge is undersize in OO.

A South African friend used to build his own at 5mm/ft on HO track, using suitable HO and OO mechanisms and running gear. This looked very good indeed for the 3'6" gauge; although the track was slightly narrow, the dimension over the wheel faces using RTR mechanisms was almost dead right. Locos and rolling stock came out good and chunky, similar to 'S' gauge.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.