Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Apologies if in the wrong place!)

Being pretty new at this, I thought I should pop into my local store to have a look at what's on offer. I duly popped into Master of Epsom - WOW! What an Alladin's cave! So much to choose from, I've come out more confused.

The chap who owns the store was very helpful though and didn't seem to mind that I knew little about nothing.

There are a couple of points I just need clearing up if that's ok? Probably very basic, so forgive me!

What is a frog? I have seen them mentioned in other posts, but I'm not at all certain as to what they are.

Is it possible to convert DC to DCC at a later date? As I understand it, you just need to change the controller to a DCC one and then add chips to the locomotives. Is it as simple as that? Is adding chips to locos a fairly straight forward task?

Thanks,

hugh

·
Registered
120 Posts
QUOTE (TheThing @ 3 Apr 2008, 15:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is it possible to convert DC to DCC at a later date? As I understand it, you just need to change the controller to a DCC one and then add chips to the locomotives. Is it as simple as that? Is adding chips to locos a fairly straight forward task?

Thanks,

hugh

Hi Hugh,

Yes, and yes.

You can convert to DCC at any stage but sooner is better since there might be things that one must consider when building a DCC layout. And yes, it is easy to put decoders into stuff (not only locomotives), just requires some soldering skills in some cases.

Regards,

Cem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts