Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just picked up a copy of April's Model Rail "The Pullman issue" and was wondering what thoughts any of you have about Wrenn's Brighton Belle set.

With Hornby's new range of Pullman cars, could they make 5-BEL motor coaches topping-and-tailing existing coaches? And is it likely they would for a relatively small seller?

·
Registered
982 Posts
I don't think the Brighton Belle coaches are the same as the Pullmans produced by Hornby. There are references in the articles in Model Rail to the brighton Belle being of a different profile. You might think so what, it would make a good model anyway, but can you imagine the protests from the purists were Hornby to cobble something together?

In any case, is it not time Hornby remembered there are other areas of the country, north of London

Russell

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (rb277170 @ 30 Mar 2008, 11:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>In any case, is it not time Hornby remembered there are other areas of the country, north of London

Russell

Oh, sure. I almost hesitated asking about it following Richard's "ANYTHING other than another bleedin South/South West of London Locomotive.... Please!" on the next Bachmann NRM model thread!

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Purley Oaks @ 30 Mar 2008, 21:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Oh, sure. I almost hesitated asking about it following Richard's "ANYTHING other than another bleedin South/South West of London Locomotive.... Please!" on the next Bachmann NRM model thread!

***Never take that stuff too seriously - its all in good fun.

I have a couple of friends with the Wrenn Brighton belle set. I think they actually scoured Ebay for orignal Wrenn + reworked earlier models of pullmans to extend the set, and it worked quite well visually, although in truth its a bit of a Trainset look" compromise as the original Wrenn isn't a great model by todays standards.

Despite my occasional P taking of anything south of London and my sincere plea for some North of London loco's I'd think the Belle as a totally new tooling / new set with 2008 tooling quality would probably succeed quite well as an offering if the success of all previous pullman coaches is anything to go by... the "Bling" stuff always sells!

Richard

·
Registered
487 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 30 Mar 2008, 13:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***Never take that stuff too seriously - its all in good fun.

I have a couple of friends with the Wrenn Brighton belle set. I think they actually scoured Ebay for original Wrenn + reworked earlier models of pullmans to extend the set, and it worked quite well visually, although in truth its a bit of a Train set look" compromise as the original Wrenn isn't a great model by todays standards.

Despite my occasional P taking of anything south of London and my sincere plea for some North of London loco's I'd think the Belle as a totally new tooling / new set with 2008 tooling quality would probably succeed quite well as an offering if the success of all previous Pullman coaches is anything to go by... the "Bling" stuff always sells!

Richard

There were two editions of the "Brighton Belle" - one was BR blue/white offered by Wrenn. The set was a powered coach and dummy trailer - though additional coaches could be added, making a five coach set.
The 12v motor used, was of poor design, causing unreliable running with many derailments, especially when using modern code 100 rail points.
I have such a two set BB BR blue/white - unfortunately, I have been unlucky not to find a better and more efficient drive motor. I must agree that the coaches are not as well designed as to the modern coaches now on sale - again the BB Br blue/white coaches are more robust than their modern counter parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts