Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By accident I managed to catch the first of these and at one point it showed a couple of blokes checking out a Lord Nelson which was running poorly, at least it showed that Hornby have model railways about the place and some testing and checking going on, the second issue this week showed the upgrade of the HST model to jump ahead of a competitor and again they used a selection of set track points to run the train over to test a new coupling.

I thought it a shame that other manufacturers do not seem to do this. Even so the checking of a sent for repair loco seemed odd using up 2 senior blokes playing trains it would be cheaper to simply send another new loco! When I last sent 4 for repair to Hornby this was to an address in Maidstone not Margate, they repaired 2 and decided as the other 2 Black 5's needed new X4026 motors, seems that they no longer have these but unfortunately failed to communicate this to me. so I bought a pre owned loco and swapped a chassis over, I bought another chassis last week at Exeter and was told the motor was good - well it just about moved the loco so another dud I am afraid to say.

So I expect this program is a cross between propaganda and human interest but was interesting for all that.

·
In depth idiot
7,808 Posts
... it showed that Hornby have model railways about the place and some testing and checking going on... they used a selection of set track points to run the train over to test a new coupling...I thought it a shame that other manufacturers do not seem to do this...
I would expect any current manufacturer of standing to have and use such a test layout, or have access to a suitable set up, to establish that a new OO mechanism design will negotiate the standard UK set track including the points.

Or find out that it doesn't! The recently released RoS / Heljan gas turbine comes with information that the minimum radius required is R3, which implies that there has been some testing: even if it gave an over-optimistic result, as user experience suggests R4 is more like it.

.... the checking of a sent for repair loco seemed odd using up 2 senior blokes playing trains it would be cheaper to simply send another new loco! ... So I expect this program is a cross between propaganda and human interest but was interesting for all that.
Same reaction, no way you can afford to do that as normal practise. A harassed looking technician at a crowded work bench with dozens of locos awaiting attention, expected to sort out at least a dozen a day, more like it.

But this is popular telly to sell model railways, and also entertainment, I take it with a large pinch of salt.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Similar here, TBH I am quite enjoying the series and especially the research and design work, not just on Hornby but also the Corgi Bristol fighter they did and the Mosquito. Its fairly light as a programme but commendable in that it is an hour long and that they actually opened up the doors ie Bachmann and others will be watching and would they do similar? I think not. The development of their 1:1 'museum' taking place is also great to see, not least when they brought in that Hawker Hunter covered in moss. To think they hv owned it all this time and it has just been parked up outside somewhere. I just wish there was less of Mr Hornby Simon Kohler as he cant miss an opportunity to be in every subject...🙄

1 - 4 of 4 Posts