Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its not often we get snow in the extreme south east of england and even more unusual for it to settle! When the rest of the country is at a standstill, Deal is usually sunny and bright with no snow! Must be cos we are on the coast.
Heres a view taken from the upstairs front room looking up my road.

Steve

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Still sunny here but that stuff's forecast to come our way too

David

·
Registered
95 Posts
That is so funny i just read your post then looked out of my window & it is snowing here too. Hopefully the dales will get a really nice coating so scots gaurdsman will look brilliant with a snowy patchy backdrop.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE I like snow!
Well I do too but not when faced with a 30 mile commute each way over the Ridgeway into Oxfordshire and hoping that all the other road users know what they're doing.........

I just hope my boss will be OK with me working from home over the newly installed VPN.

David

·
Dogsbody
1,387 Posts
I'm now living in sunny South Africa. To find snow I now have to climb very high hills, mostly in Leshoto (another country) at exactly the right time. Didn't think I'd miss snow but maybe for a day or to it would be nice.

Bob

p.s. I think I miss British bangers more !

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (dwb @ 1 Feb 2009, 16:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well I do too but not when faced with a 30 mile commute each way over the Ridgeway into Oxfordshire and hoping that all the other road users know what they're doing.........

I just hope my boss will be OK with me working from home over the newly installed VPN.

David

I once walked some of the Ridgeway in my younger fitter days!
Steve

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
QUOTE (wolverton bloomer @ 1 Feb 2009, 14:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Heres a view taken from the upstairs front room looking up my road.

Steve

You're trying to pull a fast one on us, it's not snowing in your neck of the woods, that's your layout that you've done some photoshop malarky with

Maybe it's just me but that does look like a model.

We've got some snowhere too, I just hope we don't get too much or the boss will be ringing me to tell me he can't get in, that'll be at 04:40 tomorrow morning if we get a lot more snow.

Regards Andii

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (5696Arethusa @ 1 Feb 2009, 18:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You're trying to pull a fast one on us, it's not snowing in your neck of the woods, that's your layout that you've done some photoshop malarky with

Maybe it's just me but that does look like a model.

We've got some snowhere too, I just hope we don't get too much or the boss will be ringing me to tell me he can't get in, that'll be at 04:40 tomorrow morning if we get a lot more snow.

Regards Andii
I wish my modelling skills were that good (and my photoshopping skills come to that)
Steve

·
garage hobbit&#33;&#33;&#33;
1,715 Posts
Of course it means that as well as the credit crunch, tommorrow britain will be broken, all the schools will be closed, trains not running, motorways turned into car parks and all the bread and milk will have sold out in the supermarket. And all because of a little bit of snow! If we get more than 2cm we are bu#'*+=d

And it would be on my day off too! Still if it is bad and lasts, I hope the Wolds will be in-passable so I wont be able to go on Tuesday (fingers crossed) as long as it is clear by next sunday so I can go to the swapmeet at Lincoln

Brian
CME Milldale

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
as a civil servant, snow means, unfortunately, a day off......still on pay...how sad.....oh deary me......what? the boss wants me to WALK in?........guess I'll ring in 'sick' instead....still get paid, tho'....

tee hee, snigger snigger....

·
Chief cook &amp; bottle washer
2,921 Posts
"I like snow!"
It's not so much fun when you have to rope and sheet a 40 foot trailer in it.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
QUOTE (wolverton bloomer @ 1 Feb 2009, 18:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I once walked some of the Ridgeway in my younger fitter days!
Steve
This short film used to scare me when I was a child.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I remember helping my dad rope and sheet his lorry in the 70s,dont think it was in the snow but those sheets were heavy. Doubtfull if I'll get any snow unless I drive up on Bodmin Moor but the cortina plays up a bit in damp conditions.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I've just been down to the quay,no snow yet but the fishing boats are all moored up and rocking a fair bit.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
We actually had snow here in Ras Al Khaimah last week. That's right on the Northern tip of the Arabian Peninisula.

Never been known before and the local Arab dress is hardly suitable for such conditions. That did not stop hoards of people from descending in the place though.

The really worrying part was the way the locals were driving in snow. They just had no comprehension of how it affects traction and braking so you can imagine the resulting mayhem. Luckily nobody was killed.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts