Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
These rare locomotives were all seen within minutes of each other whilst train spotting on my favourite embankment. They include the Woodhead line EM1 Class 76, the experimental LMS 10000 series diesel, and the one off Class 89. Would these be good subjects for the model manufacturers to produce or are they all too off beat?
:-

Gary

·
Registered
436 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 25 Apr 2005, 20:14)These rare locomotives were all seen within minutes of each other whilst train spotting on my favourite embankment. They include the Woodhead line EM1 Class 76, the experimental LMS 10000 series diesel, and the one off Class 89. Would these be good subjects for the model manufacturers to produce or are they all too off beat?
:-

Gary
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi
Would be nice to see all three available but buckleys chance I suppose.
Didn't Triang do the EM2 for a while?

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There should be three images of models of an OO gauge EM1, an LMS experimental diesel, and a the one and only Class 89 electric loco. So I am sure you would like to see these!

It may be your browser settings Colin.

Is anybody else having difficulty with the images?

Gary

·
Registered
16 Posts
I see the images Gary. It was Vintagemodeller's statement that we sould look closely at the bogies of the blue loco that prompted my previous post. What is it about the bogies that Vintagemodeller is drawing to our attention?

Colin

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Sorry Colin. Missunderstanding!

kewrail seemed to imply that the first image was an EM2 with the reference to the Tri-ang model of the 1960's. This had a Co-Co arrangement.

If you look closely at the bogies it has only 2 axles with a Bo-Bo arrangement and the model is an EM1 as used on the Woodside line. Hit the link below for more info:-

Class 76

The EM1 was a smaller brother of the EM2 and was several feet shorter.

This has never been modelled by any ready to run manufacturer although I do believe there is kit available but I am not sure of the source. If anybody knows of any kits or resin bodies for any of the above then please include the information here.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm the one thats confused!

I didn't see the last line of Ozwarrier's post.

I think the excitement of seeing an image of a Triang EM2 affected me more than I thought!

There were 4 of those EM2's together at an auction I was at a few months back. I had my eye on them but I passed as bidding exceeded £400!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
12 Posts
Gary

There's an EM1 kit currently available in resin from DC Kits, although I think it might be withdrawn soon.
Trix Twin produced a rtr EM1 back in the early 60s; it was available in lined black and green liveries and was probably made in their odd 3.8mm scale. I saw one recently on a TTR "nostalgia" layout, it didn't look bad from a distance!

·
Registered
9 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 29 May 2005, 13:17)Sorry Colin. Missunderstanding!

kewrail seemed to imply that the first image was an EM2 with the reference to the Tri-ang model of the 1960's. This had a Co-Co arrangement.

If you look closely at the bogies it has only 2 axles with a Bo-Bo arrangement and the model is an EM1 as used on the Woodside line. Hit the link below for more info:-

Class 76

This has never been modelled by any ready to run manufacturer although I do believe there is kit available but I am not sure of the source. If anybody knows of any kits or resin bodies for any of the above then please include the information here.

Happy modelling
Gary
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is not correct that nobody mass produced an EM1 - Trix did one some years ago - but perhaps more in HO than OO, nevertheless most "Woodhead" exhibition layouts use the Trix version. Look out for them on EBay - go for silly money. Also what is that Tri-ang Transcontinental diesel on class 37 bogies trying to masquerade as 10001? I suppose it looks like it to those people with white sticks and labradors.

·
Registered
133 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 29 May 2005, 13:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry Colin. Missunderstanding!

Class 76

Happy modelling
Gary

To bring this up to date, there is a brass kit in OO as well as O gauge being produced by a Cambridgeshire company, MSL Hobbies Ltd. JLTRT (Pete Waterman has just bought the 'O' gauge side). MSL Hobbies do a bespoke building service. I am awaiting the completion of an EM2, due soon. They also do EM1 models (Tommies)

Regards,

Hugh

1 - 14 of 14 Posts