Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
QUOTE (steamrailuk @ 23 Jul 2008, 14:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi everyone, I was wondering what your favorite locos are so I've created this topic for you all to post on.
my favorite loco is either the GWR Castle class or the LMS Black 5

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Diffecult - I have a few but after a quick think I've narrowed it down ;

Steam.
DB Class 50, DB Class 38.

Diesel.
DB Class 218, DB Class 232.

Electric.
SBB Crocodile, DB Class 103.

To be honest, I don't think I could narrow it down any more - I have far too many favorites (including the Bullied's & the Brit's).

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (steamrailuk @ 23 Jul 2008, 21:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>my favorite loco is either the GWR Castle class or the LMS Black 5

***Too many really.
Midland 999 class 4-4-0, Kirtley 0-6-0 outside frame goods and for a more modern steam loco, the Stanier 8F.
UK diesel the lowly 08, the whistler and the 37. Have a soft spot for early Scottish Loco's like the Jones goods too.
US prototype the Rio Grande L131 articulateds, the Pennsylvania K4 Pacific with long haul tender and the GG1 Electric.
EU the Chapelon pacifics, The 42, many of the early jackshaft drive boxlike electrics
NZ the Ja steam loco's
AU the VR early Diesels and the Alco 44

Strong Dislikes:
Any Bullied pacifics pre-rebuild (sorry, they are ugly as hell). The Q1 - if it was human it'd have been strangled at birth.
Any A4, they remind me of a VW.
Any apple green loco especially the overworked flying scotsman which should be cut up to sell for funds for another Duchess :). Most GWR loco's with perhaps the exception of the earlier outside frame locos and the classic Pannier tank.

Kindest regards

Richard

PS - I'd not really cut the scotsman up - just selling it to a wealthy japanese or walt disney for the funds for a duchess would be fine.

·
Registered
59 Posts
mine are. electric, class 76(just bought 6) steam,tricky one but the A4s. diesel, class 40 or 37

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (steamrailuk @ 23 Jul 2008, 17:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Richard Johnson your the first person i've heard of that dislikes the A4's but then again some people dislike streamliners but like me you have a soft spot for scottish steam locos
scottish steam

seeing as Its difficult to choose just one loco I've dicided to create a top ten list. "not in any specific order"

LMS Black 5
LMS Royal Scot
CR 4-6-0 Cardean
LNER D49
BR 9F
Norfolk and Western J class
Victorian Railways R class
CR 812 class
CR Single 123
SR USA class 0-6-0T

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Nice to see those pics of the locos at the Kelvingrove museum of transport again.

My list, as I cannot narrow it down further. In no particular order.

NSWGR AD60 Garratt
SAR GMA/M Garratt
N & W J Class
Streamlined Coronation
A4 (I'm afraid so. It's a design classic)
BR03.10
K.Bay S3/6
A3 with smoke deflectors
ICE3
BR06

·
Registered
26 Posts
My favorite type locomotives are one, the LMS 2-6-4T Fowler 4P and secondly the GWR 5700 Class Pannier. It doesn't get any better than that!

·
Paul Hamilton aka &quot;Lancashire Fusilier&quot;
844 Posts
I love what I am building now, a LMS (Ex MR) Fowler 4F 0-6-0.

And when it is finished I reckon my favourite will be the next loco I build ( a Jinty) and then the next loco I build (a MR Flatiron probably) and so on.....

Love the one you're with

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 24 Jul 2008, 15:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That will please BRITHO !

I had three of those now I've only got 2 Same running no though
I thought about renumbering one of them
I also have a BR221 in turquoise /cream livery (some where!)

Regards Zmil

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Now where should I start from?

Top of the list:

Kriegslok Br52

Second Br44/SNCF 150X

Can't do without Br57 (G10)

..nor a DRG Class50

..and I am still hiding in the closet for a Garrat

Baykal

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (zmil @ 24 Jul 2008, 04:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>firstly the BR221 Fleischmann model 4235

QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 24 Jul 2008, 08:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That will please BRITHO !

Quite right too!!

This is never an easy question to answer, so I have managed to narrow it down to ten, in no particular order, as follows:

Steam:

BR class 9F
Bulleid Q1
Bulleid "airsmoothed" BB/WC
DB "kriegslok" class 52
Chinese QJ

Diesel:

BR D8xx Warship
DB class 221
DB class 232

Electric:
BR class 71
DB class 103

QUOTE (bike2steam @ 24 Jul 2008, 16:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What a variety of tastes - pity they're not as good as mine

- ah yes but variety is the spice of life!

Regards

1 - 20 of 145 Posts