Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well with the arrival and set up of the W1 60700 the Z21 had a short when it took exception to a certain point, Ok usually a red x comes up on the WLAN indicator, ok cleared that and it went back to working but with no response to any button pushing, eventually I stopped the loco then as this is usually a short I went looking for it, cleared the track, removed anything not right but it would not respond and the red x was still there, I even looked at the manual to no avail.

I have noticed this being a more sensitive issue and then I cam e to the view it had to be the signal on the WLAN, did a Z21 reset, looked at the (admittedly substandard wiring) but 21 control, next I will clear say ten off and see if that does thej job?

The ipad filler 60700

·
Premium Member
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sorry guys it missed a bit, I found the ipad had 11.7GB of trains and no spare space this amounts to 203 locos 60700 being the newest and last, so I'll clear 10 and see what happens next

(not sure what happened that I lost 2 lines?

·
Premium Member
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK got back to it tonight and cleared some I had 5 duplicates on the list so they went and a few more, typically I lost count anyway enough but still no green tick just the red cross. So I had to look elsewhere and was eventually (sparing you the effort of reading (my false assumptions) decided to go and look at the ipad settings for the Z21 and there was a problem, the Z21 has an id? IP address. (found on the back) and this ends in 111, mine ended in 11, so I amended the number and on came the green tick and then the trains were able to operate. How this was changed beggars me as I never have reason to mess with this, perhaps autistic son did it but I doubt that so maybe I sleep walk or something?

Curiously I now had 4.7GB of spare space?

Anyway I had almost decided to buy a new ipad but it's all OK now.

·
In depth idiot
8,459 Posts
... So I had to look elsewhere and was eventually (sparing you the effort of reading (my false assumptions) decided to go and look at the ipad settings for the Z21 and there was a problem, the Z21 has an id? IP address. (found on the back) and this ends in 111, mine ended in 11, so I amended the number and on came the green tick and then the trains were able to operate. How this was changed beggars me as I never have reason to mess with this...
Probably 'something buried in the code' acted to truncate the IP address by one digit. Now you have worked around that one, it'll start doing something harder to work out and correct...

(The railway computing problem that made me laugh is the one that bars Swiss railways from operating trains with 256 axles. The system axle (actually wheel) counter has an eight digit memory, and a train with 256 axles would lead to an all zero input - and the train 'disappears' off the system - well Swiss Railways have probably fixed it by now, but what a corker...)

·
Administrator
10,037 Posts
ipad settings for the Z21 and there was a problem, the Z21 has an id? IP address. (found on the back) and this ends in 111, mine ended in 11, so I amended the number
The 111 is the Z21 factory setting so it will not have changed, so something happened to the setting on the iPad to 'lose' one of the '1's.
As to 'how', the most likely reason with any touch screen device is an inadvertent and unnoticed swipe or gesture.
A colleague once had a faulty mouse that would fake a mouse click and as he scrolled it would select large chunks of text. He didn't notice and started typing which had the effect of replacing the selected text with the new which made a whole chunk of work disappear... Fortunately he was able to undo the delete...

David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts