Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon I have a Z21 set up in black,with router ,I've programed a dapol class fitted which was purchased new dcc fitted, can some kind person guide me about directional lights it's just if I run loco on its own only front lights come on and not the rear red lamps, I run n gauge ,please be gentle with with me I have memory problems hopefully someone can advise me, please?looks like a fantastic site and so many helpful people stay safe .hopefully someone will reply
thanks n gauge nutter lol

·
In depth idiot
7,828 Posts
Hopefully you have the instructions for the new loco. Obvious questions to start with:
Are there LED's fitted for the rear red lamps?
Are there any switches on the loco to turn off the rear red lamps?
Does the decoder have an auxiliary output to run rear lamps?

It may well help if you can give the catalogue number of the loco and the decoder type fitted.

(From my own experience, with the only Dapol loco I own, an OO class 21 diesel. It's a good model to look at and runs beautifully, so very happy with it abd have fitted it with a Zimo decoder. The lighting arrangements are unlike any other RTR OO model with lights - and I own a few - which have all been straightforward automatically switching front and rear lights with direction of travel. Since I don't use loco lights on my layout I cannot be bothered to fiddle around to find out how to make them operate as they should on the Dapol model, where clearly they have gone their own way for reasons unknown...)

·
C55
2,506 Posts
Hi Paulus and welcome,
the functions on locos are different for different makers, although there is some popular consistency on things like Engine sound, lights, main whistle and not very many more.

With lights many makers have an on/off function for them {normally F0, for Front and Rear} and they should change with Fwd/Rev power changes. As an extra, some makers have a function to swap between all head/tail lights on - and just head lights, with tail lights off - as locos pulling rolling stock would not be running with their tail lights on.

For example, I have just obtained 3, similar purpose, new locos from different makers. All have F0 for lights on/off, with reversing operated with fwd/rev motor commands. However, one has no function to turn out the rear lights at all, one has another single function which toggles the rear lights on/off for hauling stock or light loco choice and the third has function F0 for the headlights, which reverse with the power, but - the tail lights for one direction F8 for on/off and F15 for the other end on/off and both need to be turned on/off, individually, with the controller.

The straight answer to your question will be in the list of Functions which came with your loco. Given the variations I recently found, there should be some clues about what you might be looking for, there.

I hope that this might be of assistance
Julian

1 - 3 of 3 Posts