Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
743 Posts

New from ZIMO, should be in the shops this week:

QUOTE A new arrival in the ZIMO world!:
MX31ZL is beeing distributed now !

Supply of the new self contained hand-held MX31ZL "system desk” began on 23 October 2007.

The name "system desk" was selected for the MX31ZL to mark a clear distinction between the various types already produced by Zimo; the standard cab MX31 and radio cab MX31FU.

The MX31ZL is in principle a "normal" ZIMO cab, which additionally contains the miniaturised components of a DCC system central control station, providing everything one requires in a handy package.

Naturally power output and storage capacity are lower than the proven ZIMO MX1 base station, but offers many features in a compact, powerful handheld:

Completely self contained.

Handy and easily to carry (170 g)

Innovatively equipped (see below)

Comparatively low in price.

Technical data:

+ Rail voltage (adjustable, stabilised, short-circuit-protected). 10 to 22 V (19V with supplied power supply unit).

+ Power output: (adjustable starting from 1 to 3 A when internally stabilised) up to 4 A (when stabilization by the power supply unit, at 19 V in the case of the supplied power supply unit). Brief overload capacity (5 seconds) to 5.5 A

+ Adjustable over current trip time adjustable from 0.01 seconds to 10 seconds.

+ Rail output alternatively usable for main track, as programming track, or as update track (MX31ZL can also update decoders without additional equipment).

+ Actual value measurement and display of the rail power and voltage.

+ The MX31ZL can supply power for additional cabs, which are attached over the CAN bus of 400 mA (Apx.. 5 MX31driving desks or 1 MX31FU radio cab).

+ Bi-functional USB interface operates as both USB client & USB host", i.e. on the one hand, connection to computers for software updates of the MX31ZL and attached driving desks, as well as for decoder updates, both with the help of the "ZIMO service Tool" ZST; and on the other hand, the unique ability to plug in USB 'key drives' particularly for the easy update of software without computers N.B. Decoder update function in initial delivery SW version (October 2007) not yet functional.

More at http://www.zimo.at/web2007/index2E.htm

All for about £280. Will be interesting to see how popular this proves to be, as many believe that the zimo handheld is the best there is.

Rob

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (80class @ 3 Nov 2007, 20:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

New from ZIMO, should be in the shops this week:

More at http://www.zimo.at/web2007/index2E.htm

All for about £280. Will be interesting to see how popular this proves to be, as many believe that the zimo handheld is the best there is.

Rob

Like all Zimo's offerings, looks a very interesting product, although the pricing is hardly at the "start level".

I do wonder at the benefit of a stripped down offering at this price point when full and very competent products are available at a similar price.

Richard

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE I do wonder at the benefit of a stripped down offering at this price point when full and very competent products are available at a similar price.

I would agree with that. Whilst I like their decoders and the fact you can upgrade them the "entry level" price is pretty steep compared to comparable systems but it is about half the price of their "top" model.

If these systems can also do decoder upgrades then if you're hooked on Zimo decoders you are saving (?) the £90 cost of the decoder upgrade tool.

David

·
Registered
193 Posts
Dear All,

The MX31ZL is neither a "stripped down" nor an "entry level" DCC controller. It actually has all the features of the MX31, except the power outage limit is set at 4 amps. Please refrain from making up such statements about this controller and confusing those that are just starting in DCC.

I see the MX31ZL as a direct competitor to systems like the NCE Power Pro, ESU Ecos etc.

Yes, it can update decoders and its own software via the built-in USB port saving you around 90 pounds for the dongle.

Regard
John Russell
Vienna, Austria.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John,

I agree that my title could be confusing to newcomers, I had meant that its an entry to zimo level! But clearly that only made sense inside my head. I'm sure it will be a very sucessful kit. I have an ECoS myself which I am very fond of, however I will need a handheld to go with it someday and I'm not rulling this out yet!

Rob

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (80class @ 6 Nov 2007, 08:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>John,

I agree that my title could be confusing to newcomers, I had meant that its an entry to zimo level! But clearly that only made sense inside my head. I'm sure it will be a very sucessful kit. I have an ECoS myself which I am very fond of, however I will need a handheld to go with it someday and I'm not rulling this out yet!

Rob
Rob,

you'll find the ESU Mobile control for ECoS considerably cheaper. I was quoted 167 Euro from Modelbahn Kramm. Although this does look very interesting.

Neil

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (John @ 6 Nov 2007, 05:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Dear All,

The MX31ZL is neither a "stripped down" nor an "entry level" DCC controller. It actually has all the features of the MX31, except the power outage limit is set at 4 amps. Please refrain from making up such statements about this controller and confusing those that are just starting in DCC.

I see the MX31ZL as a direct competitor to systems like the NCE Power Pro, ESU Ecos etc.

Yes, it can update decoders and its own software via the built-in USB port saving you around 90 pounds for the dongle.

John, I know you are a totally focussed ZIMO only supporter and come across that way on every list to which you contribute, and I accept that, but the reality is that others are quite entitled to a professional opinion and that is mine.

How do you assume the right to instruct others to refrain from comment?

I have many years of offering unslanted, complete, simple and accurate consumer information on many E-lists and go to great lengths to understand modellers and their needs well before recommending any brand, as no one brand will ever give equal pleasure of operation to all owners.

I hadn't bothered to make any other comments as I repect Zimo greatly however as you've raised the issue I do know.

As a cord connected controller with no base station it is actually potentially limited in convenience of user application compared to a base station type controller with a portable handset, as with the base electronics in the handset, true walk around connection cannot happen without expensive added componentry, and to be quite honest in real terms, 4 amps down a handset cord is at the extreme limit of common sense.

I have no doubt that the Zimo will be top quality and is a very competent product but it does have limitations and does NOT have a mortgage on quality, or any particular pedestal to stand on at this price point.

There are in fact many other options at this or similar price points that will ALL be judged on their merits by those who make the purchase decision.

Regards

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dear All,

I would be interested to learn what a stripped down DCC controller is as I believe I know what an enrtry level controller is.

I am considering upgrading my system from a Digitrax Super Empire Builder to say the ECOS where I believe I can plug the Digitrax into the unit, is it possible to do the same with the Zimo MX31ZL, I cant find any details on the Zimo site.

Mike

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE you'll find the ESU Mobile control for ECoS considerably cheaper

and it's cordless which is why I want need one now. I believe the delivery schedule is December (this year)

David

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Neil,

Is the ESU Mobile control for ECoS any different from the original Mobile Control? I have assumed that the handset is the same but the base station is different.

Rob

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (80class @ 7 Nov 2007, 05:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks Neil,

Is the ESU Mobile control for ECoS any different from the original Mobile Control? I have assumed that the handset is the same but the base station is different.

Rob

Rob

It must be as it's about seventy euros cheaper than the existing handhelds. My guess is that a lot of the neccessary software is already in the ECoS so that must shave a bit of the price as they don't need to put that in the base unit. The actual hand held control will be the same as the others.

Neil

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 6 Nov 2007, 06:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Rob,

you'll find the ESU Mobile control for ECoS considerably cheaper. I was quoted 167 Euro from Modelbahn Kramm. Although this does look very interesting.

Neil

Was just looking on the Modelbahn Kramm website and it has the Mobile control and base station listed for 270 Euro, which works out at £188 compared to the £160 at dccsupplies.

Once you factor in the zimo decoder programmer tool in the MX31ZL if you are going to use zimo decoders, they are approximetly the same price!

Think I will sit on this one and see how the market pans out.

Rob

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
South West Digital - the UK ESU distributor - have the 50100 ECoS mobile control listed at £139.70. The 51100 "generic" mobile control and base station is £160.80 which matches the DCC Supplies price. As I understand it, the difference is that the ECoS mobile comes with a "custom" console transceiver which plugs into a special slot in the back of the ECoS. This interface costs less than a stand alone base station but more than the "nothing" you get with the 51101 mobile control.

I think it's important that ECoS users order the 51100 because for the first(?) control so as to get the special plug in adaptor. I put a query after the first because I am wondering if the availability of the 51101 control on its own means that one base station can handle multiple mobiles. Now that would be handy for when friends call round.

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (80class @ 7 Nov 2007, 21:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Was just looking on the Modelbahn Kramm website and it has the Mobile control and base station listed for 270 Euro, which works out at £188 compared to the £160 at dccsupplies.

Once you factor in the zimo decoder programmer tool in the MX31ZL if you are going to use zimo decoders, they are approximetly the same price!

Think I will sit on this one and see how the market pans out.

Rob
Rob, the one listed is the existing model 51100 which for me is 226 euro as I don't pay VAT. The one specifically for ECoS is number 50100. On my order from Modelbahn Kramm this shows as 167 Euro which is 60 Euro cheaper than the other model. You will pay VAT on yours which may take it to 200 Euro but it is still 60-70 euro cheaper than the existing model. You can use the existing model through the ECosniffer but the new ECoS mobile control will connect direc t to the ECoS.

QUOTE I think it's important that ECoS users order the 51100 because for the first(?) control so as to get the special plug in adaptor. I put a query after the first because I am wondering if the availability of the 51101 control on its own means that one base station can handle multiple mobiles. Now that would be handy for when friends call round

Yes, each base station can take four controllers, however the conventional mobile control connects to ECoS through the ECosniffer not through the special mobile control connector. I didn't think to ask if the ECoS mobile control could take extra controllers. I'd better do that now.

Neil

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys, looks like il prob go with the ECoS mobile control then! Though il be jsut fine with my ECoS for a while yet.....

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 8 Nov 2007, 06:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think it's important that ECoS users order the 51100 because for the first(?) control so as to get the special plug in adaptor. I put a query after the first because I am wondering if the availability of the 51101 control on its own means that one base station can handle multiple mobiles. Now that would be handy for when friends call round.

David
David I made some enquiries and you can add extra handsets to the 50100 as well as the 51100. You can add an additional 15 in total.

cheers Neil

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE David I made some enquiries and you can add extra handsets to the 50100 as well as the 51100. You can add an additional 15 in total.
There's only one word for that - cool

Thanks for getting that info.

David

1 - 19 of 19 Posts