Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
No direct experience with the 505, but I would suggest you look else where as for what it is, it is very expensive and many sets half the price have a much more comprehensive feature list.

I suggest you have a look at the reviews in the DCC section. Post any questions you have here!

Rob

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 28 Mar 2008, 19:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you search the previousthreads in the DCC section you will see that ZTC have been discussed before. Draw your own conclusions from others experience.
Neils - The only reason I started this thread is because my search yielded nothing. I am new to this forum and this hobby as well as being older and not that PC literate so maybe I searched incorrectly but I have retried the search many different ways and have come up with the same result - nothing. I find you advice not at all helpful and hope it is not indicative of the more "senior" participants in this forum and hobby.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (randolph @ 29 Mar 2008, 18:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Neils - The only reason I started this thread is because my search yielded nothing. I am new to this forum and this hobby as well as being older and not that PC literate so maybe I searched incorrectly but I have retried the search many different ways and have come up with the same result - nothing. I find you advice not at all helpful and hope it is not indicative of the more "senior" participants in this forum and hobby.

Hi Randolph

I think both the above posters were trying to be politically neutral and not say directly what their posts suggest. They also clearly thought that the site database would yield better results for you than it has. ( I can confirm I did an "in forum" search for ZTC and also had no matches)

What they didn't say: ZTC owners have problems others do not and frankly the ZTC 505 is overpriced and of limited features and capability compared to the many high quality offerings currently available.

I have used all major brands extensively and recommend as follows:

If the 505 is your price point, you would like an instinctive/easily understood to use and very high quality product with totally up to date abilities then the NCE PowerHouse Pro system would be a much better buy. I make that recommendation with your above post in mind fully, as I find that anyone from 7 to 70+ is comfortable and enjoys using the NCE within a very short time when compared to other brands.

Despite that ease of use it has access to up to 28 functions, a full 5 amps of power and every possible feature you might want...

Regards

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE The only reason I started this thread is because my search yielded nothing. I am new to this forum and this hobby as well as being older and not that PC literate so maybe I searched incorrectly but I have retried the search many different ways and have come up with the same result - nothing.

Which "search" did you use? The menu of the page with the "Search" option offers two methods. The default is Google, the other is "Classic Forum Search".

I happen to know from experience and because I asked that the "Classic Forum Search" will not find strings of three characters or less so using "Classic Forum Search" for ZTC and 505 together will return nothing. In fact this is the reason why Doug added the Google option.

I have just entered the string "ZTC 505" ie two three character strings separated by a space into the google search and turned at least five results which do refer to the ZTC 505.

DCC has been a "touchy" subject on this Forum. I can't comment on whether this is true of others. It's not a cheap option and being a highly technical and complex product on the inside at least, the success or otherwise of manufacturers at producing "competent" kit is the subject of a lot of debate, some of which has at times been very heated. This produces a reluctance in those who have been through such debates more times than they would care to remember to start it all over again.

Please try the search again using the string I have suggested. I think the topics you turn up should give you a flavour of what people think of the ZTC 505.

I own an ECoS, so I am not in a position to comment.

David

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks Richard and David for your helpful replies. When searching I used "ZTC" so I will try again.

I am getting ahead of myself as whilst I have my layout planned I haven't even built the base-board yet but I am the sort of person that likes to see the full picture and thought that as ZTC was British and there didn't seem to be any information I would ask! It seems that I might have inadvertently opened up a subject already covered so please consider this thread closed.

I will now go away and research some more using the advice you have given and expect I shall come back with more questions later.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 29 Mar 2008, 19:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I happen to know from experience and because I asked that the "Classic Forum Search" will not find strings of three characters or less so using "Classic Forum Search" for ZTC and 505 together will return nothing. In fact this is the reason why Doug added the Google option.

**Thanks for that David - I wasn't aware of the 3 character limitation so made the same error - thanks for showing me how to get the best from the search facility.

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi Randolph,

I, like yourself, am planning well ahead of actual construction and did a lot of research into DCC Controllers before making my final decision. It is difficult, for fear of attracting litigation, to make specific statements on an open forum such as this but what I can say is that, like yourself, I was initially attracted to the ZTC505 but after looking at the various User Reviews (which, incidentally, can be accessed from the pinned link in the DCC Quick Links at the head of this page) and talking to an 'expert in the trade' I was made aware of its several shortcomings and eventually purchased an ECoS ESU Controller which, while it is absolutely superb piece of equipment, is somewhat more expensive than the ZTC.

In conclusion, my advice is to look elsewhere.

Regards,

Expat.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Hi Randolph,

It may appear easier to choose by price rather than features, but this can/could cause a lot of grief later down the track (excuse the pun).

Ultimately choosing a DCC controller comes down to some quite specific factors.

1) Do you want a consol type controller or a walk around controller.
2) How future roof is the unit.
3) What bits come as standard, ie PC interface (useful for updating the software) and what other add-on's are available.
4) Is it a closed system or can you use other manufacturers equipment with it.
5) How much local support is there if you have "issues".

There is a lot to be said for matching your central unit to the majority of the chips that you have.

I am currently looking at replacing my control equipment. While I have not made a decision as yet, it is for me coming down to a choice between the ESU ECOS, the Marklin Central Station, and the Zimo MX1. For me personally the walk around controller is not a big thing, but the lack of local support for the Zimo MX1 (along with it price) is pushing me towards the ESU ECOS/Marklin Central Station (which has the MFX protocol).

Time will tell.

John

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (randolph @ 29 Mar 2008, 20:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Neils - The only reason I started this thread is because my search yielded nothing. I am new to this forum and this hobby as well as being older and not that PC literate so maybe I searched incorrectly but I have retried the search many different ways and have come up with the same result - nothing. I find you advice not at all helpful and hope it is not indicative of the more "senior" participants in this forum and hobby.
Randolph,
ZTC's systems have been discussed in depth on this forum several times previously with some very conclusive information provided. As I am a senior member of this forum I am reluctant to make potentially litigious statements about any particular company. The previous discussion of ZTC generated a response from someone who appeared to be a representative of ZTC and the discussion got quite heated.

Your first post does not say that you had attempted to search and had failed, you only asked for information. I provided an answer on how you could get that information. Your ungrateful reply will obviously make people think before trying to help you in the future if this is your atitude when forum members attempt to assist you. The thread below may explain why no-one wants to spell out their views on ZTC.

ZTC Justify their price

Neil

·
Registered
182 Posts
I also do not wish to re-open any old ZTC debates, but I will say this;

I have recently sold my ZTC 505, and I have down this for one reason only, that is you can only operate 8 functions plus the main lights. There appears to be no way around this.
The latest Bachmann sound locos (37s and 47) have 10 sound functions, and my Howes Class 37 sound chip has 12 functions, so it was time to move on....

I have also sold my LGB MTS systems, considering selling up my Roco Multimaus and Bachmann Dynamis (Both have 20 functions, but cannot read CVs), and I have finally ordered an ESU Ecos, which should be here next week.
The majority of ready to run models now have ESU decoders (Roco, Bachmann, Marklin, and soon the Hornby sound locos), and the ECOS offers the most comprehensive programming and tuning for these decoders. It also offers support for LGB, whichmay need an additional booster to be of full use.

So it is not a case of whose controller is best, but maybe how many functions can you operate with it, and can it be software updated. I did seriously look at the Zimo MX31ZL, but this only appears to have 12 functions, though it is software upgradeable.

Ashley

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (ashleyh @ 1 Apr 2008, 11:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So it is not a case of whose controller is best, but maybe how many functions can you operate with it, and can it be software updated. I did seriously look at the Zimo MX31ZL, but this only appears to have 12 functions, though it is software upgradeable.

Ashley

***Exactly, which is why I often recommend the NCE for those who require good usability, ability to update and excellent function access - The PowerHouse Pro system has a very easy 28 function access!

I also very much like the ECOS however its important to understand the users layout and operating style before recommending it - its not for everybody as there is such a fundamental user approach difference between a desktop system and a hand held. Some enjoy using one type, some the other.

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all for your replies to my somewhat clumsy question.

I am now favouring the ESU ECoS and have downloaded the manual which I shall read in detail during a long train journey I have to make tomorrow down the length of England ! I will, no doubt, return with more questions.

R

1 - 14 of 14 Posts