Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For Immediate release

SBX Model Rail Purchases the ZTC Range of DCC Products

Scrapbox Limited - trading as SBX Model Rail - is pleased to announce that with effect from the 13th November 2008 that it has acquired the intellectual property of ZTC Controls Limited (ZTC).

ZTC ceased sales support and servicing on 30th September 2008. Having been a ZTC reseller for some time, SBX Model Rail (SBX) has taken the opportunity to acquire full sales and development rights to the complete range of ZTC products. ZTC's range of Digital Command Control (DCC) products have always been manufactured in the UK and SBX Model Rail are pleased to confirm that they will continue with that tradition.

Manufacture of the products will be starting very shortly and SBX expect the full range to be available over the coming months. Full details and prices for the ZTC range, current availability and release schedules will be available from the SBX website at www.sbxmodelrail.co.uk. For those without internet access, this information can be obtained by contacting SBX on 01473 464311.

End of Press Release

For further information please contact David Pennington, Director, Scrapbox Limited on 01473 464311 or by e-mail to [email protected]

Not sure if David is doing the correct thing on this one???
Puzzler..

·
Registered
999 Posts
QUOTE (Puzzler @ 13 Nov 2008, 16:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not sure if David is doing the correct thing on this one???
I'm inclined to agree with you. It's one thing to buy a healthy business with a successful and up to date product line, but it's another to buy one on which significant devlopment is required to just catch up with the competition and has a mediocre if not poor public image.

I hope he has deep pockets.

Keith.

·
Registered
318 Posts
QUOTE (Puzzler @ 13 Nov 2008, 16:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...
Not sure if David is doing the correct thing on this one???
Puzzler..

I for one am delighted that ZTC have been acquired again and I hope they are successful. I have read a lot of scathing reports about the company on various forums and magazines but all my dealings with them were very good and I found them very helpful.Why do we continue to knock UK companies. Having had a ZTC 511 ( my first introduction to DCC ) I loved it. Easy programming, simple double heading, and it felt good to use . I am sorry I got mixed up in the panic to get rid as I thought servicing would be an issue if it ever went wrong . My latest purchase ( from China of course) does not feel a patch on quality & programming is nowhere near as simple, its like typing on a PC to double head .Bearing in mind the ridiculous prices these ZTC units were fetching on E bay some one must love them.

·
Registered
697 Posts
QUOTE Why do we continue to knock UK companies ?
It's not knocking UK companies, it's knocking a bad company, regardless of where they are based.
ZTC's reputation is very poor and this chap has a monumental task ahead of him to turn this around.
The 511 and 505 systems need a lot of development work to turn them into competitive products. As they stand they are just not worth the money or hassle.

·
Registered
36 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 14 Nov 2008, 13:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Best of luck, but they probably have an uphill struggle - lets hope they have got their sums right.

First post here , although I've been reading for a while, and I agree with this.

I use lenz myself, but have always been taken with the design of the ZTC command stations, the problem for me has always been more or less double the cost of a Lenz 100 set for half the functionality. (particularly with the Lenz 3.6 software version).

If they could cut manufacturing costs to make the product price competetive, and take a hint from the latest functionality (28 functions, railcom ready etc),they may be in with a chance.
Its a big if mind.

·
In depth idiot
7,677 Posts
There's no doubt that those who like driving their trains with the console, really really like it; and there is nothing else quite the same available. With a significant investment to sort out the bugs and expand capabilities, a policy of badging proven anciliaries to provide a full range, and a customer focussed attitude, it could well succeed. Since SBX were a reseller, it is fair to assume that their principal knows exactly what the business case looks like.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
I've always liked the look of the "Real Feel" controller with the separate regulator and brake but it was never available as an "addon" controller presumably to encourage sales of the main system. Now if the new IP owners were to make a "Real Feel" addon controller available for the ECoS I would strongly consider buying one.

So how about - "Real Feel" with ECoSLink (CAN I think)?

David

1 - 12 of 12 Posts