Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree with Suzie, Zimo decoders seem to be the best. When I first started with DCC I tried all sorts, although the Lenz and ESU I didn't try because of the price, so I can't comment on them. The other thing I found was that the Zimo, compared to a Hornby had a higher current rating. Interestingly a lot of the other decoders that supposedly had a higher current rating in reality didn't seem to have it, as demonstrated by fitting them in old Hornby and Bachmann locos, by them failing in a puff of smoke. So far I have never had that issue with a Zimo. Perhaps it is me but I even found the Zimo sound decoders were better than LokSound ones, although everyone raves about them. For DCC controllers as I used do electronics as a job I managed to buy a broken Hornby Elite and Fleishmann twin Track controllers off EBay and fix them. The Hornby Elite I find is easy to use but a bit dated, so I tend to use it for only programming and testing, it is also incredibly expensive for what it is. The Fleishmann although they don't make it anymore is really good, because it can control two trains at the same time but its programming mode is not as good as the Elite's. The Roco Z21 looks really good as does the Digikeijs which look to be more modern and have wireless capability which means you can control the trains while you are walking about, really useful on a large layout if you have a derailment.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts