Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
hello everyone - from tokyo! ... just got here and altho been on a 12hr flight, i cant sleep, so im reading your posts! ... off to shinjuku mainline station tmrw to take pics of the shinkansen (bullets!).

i always have a look online and at ebay, then go to the local model shop in downtown glasgow (D&F models) - they are lovely folks who run it - and because im a regular customer, i always get a good price - it might not be QUITE as cheap as the cheapest price on the net, but theres no postage, i get to see the model out the box, i get to see it run on a test track, talk about it, usually other customers in the shop also like to discuss/offer advice etc ... the whole "experience" is nice - to me its not just about the price but the whole process of selecting a model, spending time in the shop, chatting and going home with your new model. - surely thats worth more than saving a few pounds?.

as someone else said, can you imagine these small hobby shops eventually going out of business ... it would take a lot of the pleasure of shopping for something for your model away. so ill keep supporting my local model shop and to me its worth paying that little extra (probably the postage cost for an online purchase) to enjoy my model buying experience.

·
Registered
407 Posts
hi clive,

lovely to hear your moving back to glasgow, D & F sadly dont sell unbrellas for the non-stop rain - so make u sure you buy one and bring it with you ... but they sell or can get just about anything else!. good luck with your move back!.
the lady with the croaky voice, (cant remember her name - but she's been there for years is still there and her husband that she bosses around - its all quite funny and comical - worth a visit just to watch them argue over who ordered what and whys that not there etc lol)

i think its important just like u say to support these shops, theyre kinda few and far between these days - so ill certainly do my bit to help them along as they have done me over the years.

·
Registered
407 Posts
QUOTE (clive hayward @ 8 Mar 2009, 21:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello Neil,
D&F models are in merchant city, 56 Bell St to be exact, not too far from Central station about a 5 min walk.

regards

Clive

that'll be 5 mins walk with no umbrella in the typical scottish weather then! ... or your a very fast walker lol - takes me about 15-20 mins dodging the crowds!.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.